Guaranteed to Cut 7 Strokes from Your Score

Sunday 12 June 2011

McDowell's Magic

There are many mysteries in the world of golf. Why, for example, are the two best players on the planet hoping to claim a major title? And why is the most recent winner of United Kingdom one of the four great titles so perplexed by the most precious of his career to date trophy?
While Luke Donald and Lee Westwood prepare for the inevitable questions about the paradox of their positions high in the rankings and no more than his name, Graeme McDowell is again in the knowledge that had already dodged having to endure these questionnaires.
Donald and Westwood surprising levels of consistency on Tour offer abundant justification of his status as number one in the world and two. This, however, not stop the issue "more important" were thrown in the days before the US Open in the Congress. That, in turn, you can make the task of breaking his duck more difficult to achieve.
This particular pressure no longer exists for McDowell, defending the Crown who won at Pebble Beach when last year he tees in Maryland on Thursday.
Twelve months ago, the ranking said that it was the 37th best player in the world, made it had barely managed to in the open field. He moved to California that just won the Wales open in brilliant style and although he felt game "confidence calm" in the second major of the year, the man from Portrush in Northern Ireland had no idea quite how his life was about to change.
To view this content you need to install Flash and Javascript enabled. Visit BBC Webwise for full instructions. If you are reading through RSS, you will need to visit the blog to access this content.
This week, McDowell has flown to United States to defend his title as the global number of eight, the man who had held his nerve to close the Ryder Cup for Europe and as a golfer, at the end of last year, overcame Tiger Woods as the number one of the world stood at the threshold of putting an end to a streak which continues to this day.
When asked what the greatest McDowell has learned about himself in the past year, responds: "the best that I can manage to be one of the best players in the world."
"It will always be my first major championship." (2010) Always will be my definition of year, my first year as a player for what I'll never have to go through this process, "said 31-year-old age."
By capitalizing on the early third-round leader fall Dustin Johnson at Pebble Beach and then Northern Woods, Phil Mickelson and Ernie Els, as well as Gregory Havret, the unlikely French challenger, McDowell was able to become the first European for 40 years to claim the national championship of United States.
That last day, remember looking at the classification tables for the first time on the back nine. McDowell had carded only two bogeys since the middle of the street in the ninth and tenth holes. "I have seen that no one was making a move and still had two shots on the front."
"I shot 74 to win the US Open." It is not particularly attractive, but I played a better that day to a 74. I really hit the ball pretty well that day. I can not get a huge amount of the round, I just made a birdie, but that it is difficult to Pebble was, "recalled."
"One of the things that my proudest is Woods was on the Board and Mickelson was on the Board of Directors and Els was on the Board, three players".
By coincidence the achievement of Tony Jacklin, the last European to win a US Open, McDowell won instant recognition of this side of the pond, although it is regrettable that his victory was on the eve of Wimbledon and in the middle of the World Cup, otherwise would have received even greater recognition.
However, he embarked on a world tour with the famous but puzzling silver trophy in tow everywhere that was. "He has traveled a few miles of air", he smiled. Finally this prized possession ended up sitting in his Office at his home in Lake Nona, and since then it has been a source of curiosity for the player and his management team.
"The Lady bit at the top of the trophy, it has been a little skew-whiff", said. "We thought we had done that;" It has been in some bars and restaurants, and there has been some drinks and we have been drunk and whatever. "We think that perhaps we damaged."
McDowell fears were eased with the arrival of two versions of replica of 90 per cent ordered. "The Lady is bit skew-whiff to those as well." But then when I was in Congress some six weeks ago, its replica (the USGA) exists and is in perfect there.
Another curiosity is that while he backed up his victory in Pebble Beach for the decisive hero at Celtic Manor in the Ryder Cup was not until the end of 2010 than the American public golf course fully had recognized competitive talent of McDowell.
It was then that he persecuted Woods in the pit's closure of the main champions tournament fourteen time near Los Angeles, and then beat him in sudden death. "It's amazing how much notoriety won in the States due to", said McDowell.
"I would say 50 percent of the people probably mentions the US Open I and 50 per cent of the population include Chevron, or even more." "I have gained great prestige in United States that one."
It is likely that the confidence needed to achieve that victory was in charge of his exploits in Pebble Beach and Celtic Manor previously in the year. Get a first major Crown is a huge monkey back any player and how expensive Donald and Westwood would like to get rid of this primate particular.
For McDowell, the future is all about the construction of the platform the year past has given. "I don't want to be a one hit wonder, but I want to be the best player I can be."
"I have, five, perhaps ten probably the best moment of my career of 15 years"? I have a hell of improving to do much, there are many areas of my game I can get much, much better.
"I have a huge self-confidence of 2010." I am a good launch of weight under pressure which is a great weapon. "So if I want to win more major titles".
To view this content you need to install Flash and Javascript enabled. Visit BBC Webwise for full instructions. If you are reading through RSS, you will need to visit the blog to access this content.
During this visit to Congress to help promote the Championship of this year (which is an Ambassador of textbooks for the game) was a cold day and the course played brutally long. Certainly not fit his eye in the form made Pebble Beach the past year, but he is selfless.
"Congress will be a huge milestone for me, it really is." "I'm very excited to come and I am excited to have this weight really took off from my shoulders". Speaking the charge of being a great champion.
"It is a weight that is giving me down"? No. does is unconsciously taking me? "It could be, I don't know".
As an effective is an operator in the media that tent, McDowell clearly enjoys posing and try to answer your own questions. Does "I love having these conversations on the US Open and the Ryder Cup"? I love having them.
"These are great memories, but I am prepared to go ahead with the rest of my career." "I am prepared to reorient myself and try to be the best player I can be."
It is the luxury of being a big winner and that is the award this week in the sights of Donald, Westwood and endless possibilities for the first time the winners.
However, to overcome this obstacle, they will have to overcome first to someone who knows exactly what it takes. Only then can also attempt to solve the mystery of the first lady on the trophy.

No comments:

Post a Comment